Re: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:11:37PM +0200, Dirk Napierala wrote:
> Marco Atzeri schrieb:
>> --- Dave Korn  ha scritto:

>>> problem.
>>>
>>>   Random and wacky idea: What happens if you prepend
>>> Cygwin's
>>> /bin/unzipsfx.exe to the existing SFX and try
>>> running that?
>>>
>>>     cheers,
>>>       DaveK
>>>

>> other wacky idea
>> cygwin 7z is able to handle self extracting
>> archive and 2G zip file
>>
>> 7z x yourfile.exe
>>
>> not tested with 2G self extracting exe as Winzip trial refuse to build one
>> so large :-)
>
>It is not about that we would not like to test such kind of workarounds
>it is more the fact they are out of our control (you know huge
>company's and internal politic restrictions are limiting us very much
>in implementing such a fix.  We don't like it either, but that is the
>way it is unfortunately)
>
>Even if this would help, it doesn't explain, why on the same system,
>without any other change than switching the cygwin versions, it works
>with the old one and doesn't work with the current one It is worse
>trying to tell somebody to change his code due to the fact that a new
>version of cygwin should be used in the future.

I don't see a real solution for you here if you are this limited.  We
are not going to be rolling a new version of 1.5.x.  and it is unlikely
that there will be a magic option (with the possible exception of Dave's
/3GB suggestion) that will fix this for you.

cgf