Re: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:29:56AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Dirk Napierala wrote on 25 September 2008 09:55:
>
>>  From what we understand by reading the guideline "Changing Cygwin's
>> Maximum Memory" the result
>> of the small program written by DJ Delorie  tests the memory allocation
>> limit on your system.
>> Running the program will output the maximum amount of allocatable memory
>> of your system.
>> Doing so on several test systems and the different cygwin versions the
>> result is _always _1536.
>> Trying it for example with 2500MB setting on a 4GB system also failed
>> with "Cannot allocate memory".
>
>  There is an upper limit imposed by the dividing point between kernel and
>user space at the 2GB mark.  You can try adding the /3GB flag in boot.ini to
>raise this by a further gig.  You might need also to make extensive use of
>rebaseall to ensure your DLLs end up at the upper end of that range and don't
>fragment the space, or it might not matter, depending on the patterns of
>memory usage of the unpacker.

Right.  Also, the User's Guide entry is out of date.  The example maxmem
allocator won't tell you what the maximum contiguous amount of memory
possible could be.  That's what the heap_chunk_in_mb sets.  The new
malloc allows discontiguous allocation but is still limited to available
memory holes.

cgf