Re: Serializing closures

On 17 Apr 2000, Per Bothner wrote:

> But if class in gnu.bytecode or gnu.expr need to be Serializable,
> I want to know why.  I could see some gnu.bytecode.Field needing
> to be Serialized,because of the record feature.

I think Fields and Methods get serialized. Also, I'm sure that a subclass
of Type gets serialized, because things didn't work before I made Type's
no-arg constructor public.

Anyway, things are still behaving strangely over here. I have problems
when applying a procedure that's been serialized: Things don't work when
the procedure uses vector-ref or list-ref (I haven't been able to
generalize on the problem so far). Strangely enough, format does work, so
it's not like all builtin stuff fails. When my procedure gets applied, a
NullPointerException is thrown. I've put printouts in list_ref.java, and
from what I can tell it doesn't even get called. I'm thinking maybe this
has to do with static fields in the toplevel environment, because
serialization doesn't replicate these. If global bindings were kept in
static class members, then maybe they aren't initialized on the receiving
side. Comments?

Ittai