RE: Package READMEs online? (Was Re: How to install an update of the library GMP in cygwin?)

At Saturday, August 28, 2004 8:44 PM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Reini Urban wrote:
>
>> Igor Pechtchanski schrieb:

>>> Hey, this is a really good idea.  Would it be much of a chore to
>>> make the package READMEs available on the Cygwin package search
>>> page, along with the contents?  I'm mostly asking whether it'll
>>> create a space problem of some sort, and whether the script that
>>> builds the package list files for package-cat.cgi and
>>> package-grep.cgi could be made to also extract the READMEs from the
>>> packages and link to them online.  FWIW, I couldn't find that
>>> script in sourceware CVS -- I assume it's somewhere under infra/.
>>> If someone points me to that script, I'm willing to give a shot to
>>> writing the README extraction code.
>>
>> What about
>> $ egrep "search-regex" /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/*
>>
>> Must everything be on the web?
>> Maybe, because Google will not pickup the cygwin README's then. And
>> people trust Google more than the content of their harddisc.
>
> It would also allow people to peruse the READMEs for Cygwin packages
> that they haven't installed.
> 	Igor

While we're at it, a copy of setup.ini or the various setup.hints would also
be useful.  I often use an editor to look inside setup.ini for the
"requires" or the "ldesc" and it would be easier if it was on the web site,
maybe on http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/packages/

- Barry