This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped, take 2
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k dot org>, David Howells <dhowells at redhat dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:01:40 +0400
- Subject: Re: Can the automatic daily update commits be stopped, take 2
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20428 dot 1420542531 at warthog dot procyon dot org dot uk> <25281 dot 1454021771 at warthog dot procyon dot org dot uk> <CAMe9rOoZ7PL28NfHoR4azfwQgixg+7y7ykcOg24pvBEiLc6kuA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20160128231538 dot GF14840 at vapier dot lan> <CAMe9rOqNC4F7VuCMRMsjWEmafnbU82tmvd1ehc7pLnRzLbBshg at mail dot gmail dot com> <87d1skacrs dot fsf at igel dot home> <20160129114033 dot GC23479 at adacore dot com> <878u38a6gx dot fsf at igel dot home> <20160129133729 dot GA3955 at adacore dot com> <CAMe9rOrxY2MKeObfPpJZbs1Jjpx3_Z6oHxFgBLBmouGQFivYGA at mail dot gmail dot com>
> 1. Someone downloads a tar ball and builds it. "ld --version" should
> be able to
> tell at least the date when the tar ball was made.
A date is what we have at the moment, but is far to imprecise, IMO.
> 2. Someone checks out a branch, makes some changes, checks into his/her
> branch and builds it, "ld --version" should be able to tell the date
> when the branch was taken.
When the branch was taken? If it were a short-lived branch, why not,
but what about a longer-term branch?
Here is a counter proposal: Modify the build procedures so as to
first check whether the sources are part of a git repository.
If yes, then produce a meaning version info from there. If not,
then provide a way to provide the meaningful info through another
method. For instance, the nightly source packaging could drop
a specific file with the needed information. We could even make
the build first generate the version info in the file when we
have a git repo, and then do the build using the version info
from that file.