This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Don't align text/data/bss sections in x86 assembler
- From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "Roland McGrath" <mcgrathr at google dot com>,<binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:25:02 +0100
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Don't align text/data/bss sections in x86 assembler
- References: <20130531173241 dot GA30259 at intel dot com>
>>> On 31.05.13 at 19:32, "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> There is no need to align text/data/bss sections for ELF in x86
> assembler. The alignment directive should be used if a symbol needs
> a specfic alignment. I checked in this patch to avoid align
> text/data/bss sections in x86 assembler.
Are you reasonably sure that this will not result in regressions?
While conceptionally I agree with the change (and never
understood why the alignment was being enforced), I think such
a change should only be done by providing a command line option
to suppress the automatic alignment.