RE: replace function

> This list normally has pretty good questions and answers.  When an obvious
> newbie sends in a question I don't think it is fair to say they
> are 'hunting
> and pecking'.  It could simply be they don't even know where to start
> looking. I appreciate everything that I have learned from list so far and
> would hate to get new people afraid to ask questions.

yes, but u probably learned that when u ask a question to have an example
xml, example xsl, desired result and some sort of useful description of what
you want to do, and you get a better response; its a 2 way street.

In general, I agree with your comments, but it helps to have done just a
little bit of research, the list shouldn't be where a 'book' / 'website' /
'reference' / 'search engine' should be, otherwise we would be answering
questions purely about syntax.... which albeit 80% of the questions
are....and normally can be found with the aforementioned materials.

its normal to expect a replace function in most computing language, the
interesting thing I quess is that we could easily have answered that there
is no replace() function; which of course would be a valid response.

cheers, jim fuller