From: Jarno.Elovirta@nokia.com [mailto:Jarno.Elovirta@nokia.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 11:07 PM
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: RE: [xsl] Problems rendering nbsp entity

Hi,

> I know I've seen this before but I can't seem to find it in
> the archives.
> My apologies if this has been answered one too many times.

It probably has been, yes.

> In the past when I wanted to render a non blanking space when
> using XSL to
> render HTML I have just used the entity
> I've even noticed that the   entity is rendered as
>   in the HTML
> file when using the Saxon parser.  Most of the time MSXML
> will render this
> appropriately as well.  However for some reason this does not
> work this time
> when using that parser.  Now instead of getting the nicely formatted
> document that I want, I end up with question marks all over
> the place.  When

What encoding are you using to output the HTML? Does the editor/viewer you
are using to view the document support that encoding? Is it actually using
that encoding?

> I look at the HTML that was rendered there are no actual
> question marks in
> it just blank spaces where I wanted the   to be.  I am

Well... NO-BREAK SPACE does look awfully lot like a SPACE.

> assuming that
> for each question mark rendered I am seeing the space.
>
> Now after all that............
>
> Is there a way when using MSXML to get it to return the
> actual entity
> in the rendered HTML instead of some space character.  For
> example instead

Output the document using an encoding that does not contains NO-BREAK SPACE,
e.g. US-ASCII.

> The problem as many know with using the entity &nbsp; as a
> literal in XSL is
> that it is not defined.  Also, I do not really want to output
> it as a non
> blank space in the HTML but rather render it directly as is - &nbsp;

Erm... why?

Jarno