Re: How do I capture the text "around" a node?

> I'm reluctant to purchase a book as a reference as I understand that
> somethings are not set in concrete yet.

XSLT 1 which is what you are using has been a recommendation (which is a
near to concrete as the w3c gets since

There are some preliminary drafts of XSLT2 but they are still
preliminary and only supported in a cople of experimental
implementations.

You shouldn't let the possibility of XSLT2 in teh future stop you
learning XSLT 1 which is very stable and widely implemented.

> With the cost of books these days I find it hard to justify purchasing
> them only to find that it hasn't answered my questions.

the faq at www.dpawson.co.uk will point you at free web resourses as
 well as books.

> While apply-templates works as you said, the problem i have is that I
> want to remove the chars (), hence I tried value-of

It wasn't at all clear from your posting quite what ( you were removing
as there were no () in your sample input.

Perhaps you want

<xsl:template match="book/text()[contains(.,'(')]">
<xsl:value-of select="translate(.,'()','')"/>
</xsl:template>

David