Re: Re: exponential math functions in xslt

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:27:53 -0700 (PDT), Dimitri wrote:

>As for another myth -- that extension functions are significantly
>faster, I recently performed detailed timing in an XSLT application, in
>which ln() was computed approx. 5000 times. Substitution of the FXSL
>"ln" template with calls to a Javascript extension function led to less
>than 10% increase of the speed.

Why did you pick Javascript?

The numbers for a Java (not Javascript) extension called from a Java
based XSLT processor are likely to be different.

I agree though that for the majority of stylesheets the difference
between using an extension and a ready written XSLT library such as
FXSL is not worth bothering about for performance reasons.  There
might be implications with regard to testing and validation though.

Trevor Nash
--
Traditional training & distance learning,
Consultancy by email

Melvaig Software Engineering Limited
voice:     +44 (0) 1445 771 271
email:     tcn@melvaig.co.uk