Re: encoding and XSL Transformation

>When I use Xalan UTF-8
>encoding, it will make these characters into garbeled mess,
>like  Â$(A  for right tick ,etc.
>When I use james clark's xt parser. It will transform these characters
>nicely. Converting them to their hex representation ’

Presumably you mean ’ is the decimal reference, not the hex reference.
The hex representation ņ maps out to the small latin letter n with
cedilla. This tells me you're trying to pump Windows encodings into Xalan.
Windows encodings within the range of 128-159 map out to a variety of
control characters in Unicode, so your problem begins with your source
document, not Xalan.

Cheers,

Charles White
The Tumeric Partnership
http://www.tumeric.net
http://www.javertising.com
Author, Mastering XSLT, Sybex Books
Co-Author, Mastering XML, Premium Edition, Sybex Books