XSLT,Java, external function and set DTMDOMException

  I'm basically trying to write in Java a function that returns a part of the
  nodes past to it (from XSLT) while  modifying (or replacing) one of these
  nodes.

  I am using Java 1.4.1 (I have had the same problem with 1.4.0) with Xalan
  (included in the jaxp-1.2_0.1 release).

  I get the following error which puzzles me.

  org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMDOMException:
          at
  org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMNodeProxy.setNodeValue(DTMNodeProxy.java:317)
          at
  com.xcential.CgmlConv.CgmlConv.getNodesAfterSecNum(CgmlConv.java:157)

  This is an sniplet of the function where the exception occurs *** represents
  line 157

   public static NodeList getNodesAfterSecNum(NodeList nl)
   {
          int i = 0;

          try
          {

                   if (i < nl.getLength() && nl.item(i).getNodeType() ==
  Node.TEXT_NODE)
                  {
                            nl.item(i).setNodeValue(" Changed "); <**********

                  }

  I have tried to clone the Node, to import the node into a different document
  and return this to XSLT, I always get an Exception at the end.

  I must say I did not find much documentation (what does a DTMDOMException
  mean ?). Why is DTMDOM used, how can I change this if this limits what I can
  do ?

  Thank you for any help (sorry if this is a basic problem).

  Louis