Offline glossary using XML

Hiya,

Not sure if this is even the correct group to be posting in, but here goes.

I am attempting to create an *offline* glossary using XML. I'm using a
fairly simple data structure and have got it displaying nicely using XSL,
but I would like to know the following:

*  How do I create code to handle the displaying of the glossary? e.g. user
clicks on a letter and only those words starting with that letter are
displayed; or a person searches for a word by typing it into a box and it
hunts through the XML file.

I have hunted around the internet for some time but haven't gotten anywhere.
Or should I give up on XML, and try a different solution? ;)

Many many thanks
Rachel