RE: The Future of Browser-Bound XML?

At 03:42 PM 7/3/2002, Sara wrote:
> Then there's XSLFO... but from what I've read that's more
> aimed at the printed
> word, and all the examples I've seen are diplayed as PDF files.

They are, and given how long CSS support has taken I wouldn't
bet on XSLFO support in browsers ever.
-But- ... a true XSLFO browser with client-side XSLT might find itself a market niche in some world where the better display semantics (than HTML) would make a difference. Financial services, medical informatics, accounting? SEC filings? XML/XSLT could radically improve the transparency of certain kinds of information sets. And FO does have some features that'd be very nice for hypertext.

I've often wondered whether Adobe Acrobat wouldn't make a nice native XML browser if it had built in FO(and SVG!) support and an XSLT engine. Mind you, I'm not asking them to parse HTML ... wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Cheers,
Wendell

Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285