Re: xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options (was Re: text/xsl...)

David Carlisle wrote:
> Also, the stylesheet PI works to view files on my laptop offline, I
> suppose I could set up a server on localhost and serve myself things,
> but I don't: I just double click on the file and view it, this is of
> course just a default view, for other things I run a transformation from
> the command line, but since documents are things to be viewed, having a
> default view is a good thing (I claim).

I was saying that if the needs of your application are met by the PI approach,
then it makes sense to use it, but the PI approach does not meet the needs of
all applications -- I believe it in fact only works well under very specific
circumstances, such as when you've got no problem with the fact that your PIs
might be ignored -- and therefore xml-stylesheet PIs should be viewed with
some skepticism when they're being applied to tie data to business logic;
aapplications shouldn't be forced to fit the PI model.

Your counterargument seems to be "here's an application where PIs make sense,
so the PI approach is good". I don't see that as much of an argument. I didn't
say PIs were never good, only that they are the most desirable solution for
XML+XSLT over the web in far fewer circumstances than (I think) developers
would like to believe. The reason being that there are far more factors that a
typical web application needs to take into account than can be addressed by
the PI mechanisms currently available.

   - Mike