Re: XSL getting started (on a Mac)

Ingo Weiss wrote:
> working on a Macintosh (OS 9), what is the easiest way to get
> started with XSLT?

Probably by not using MacOS 9, except to open up a NiftyTelnet SSH
connection to someone's Unix box :)

> - What processors are available that I can use on my Macintosh?

I am not a Mac user these days, but my understanding is that things get much
easier if you use OS X, since it's essentially a BSD flavor of Unix under the
hood, and you can run command-line apps much more easily.

A while back, people reported success using James Clark's XT, the original,
Java-based XSLT implementation, on pre-OS X platforms. You can find info on
that in the "External Issues" section of the XSL FAQ at
  http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect4/N8976.html

You might be able to use the same technique to get Saxon to work on your
platform, as well. If you do, please report the results here.

> - What software should I ask my web hosting provider to install
> on the server for server side XSL? (I am familiar with Perl and
> PHP)

There are various ways to go about it and it really depends on your
requirements and what platform and HTTP server your provider uses. You'll find
that it can be as simple as a CGI script that invokes your favorite XSLT
processor, or as complex as a completely isolated, database-backed document
management system with a built-in XSLT processor and HTTP server.

Since you're just getting started, I advise you deal with one thing at a time.
Get started with doing transformations locally, or on a remote host where you
can run an XSLT processor easily, via command-line apps.  Once your XSLT code
does what you want, then you can worry about getting an XSLT processor
integrated into a web site.

   - Mike