Re: •

> Why doesn't this XML content:      •
> produce this output:               •

Why do you think it should? The first is 6 characters in the stylesheet.
6 non white space characters in character data always just produce 6
characters in the output. Your required output is one character
reference. To get that character put • into the stylesheet.

> It's bloody nigh impossible to get my XML parser (Xalan-Java) NOT to
> recognize entities except for this one case where recognizing it

It does recognise it. & means an ampersand as character not as
markup, so that's what appears in the result tree. But that ampersamd
character in teh result tree has to be linearised as & otherwise
parsing teh result wouldn't reproduce that character.

You haven't said why you think just putting • into the stylesheet
does not work.

David