Re: Command Line XSLT programs

[Steve Ball]

> Dru Sellers wrote:
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to apply an XSLT to multiple XML docs
at
> > the same time. My company has a "document-base" in XML that they want
> > converted into HTML. So instead of me doing them one by one with MSXSL
and
> > MSXML 4.0.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Others have answered on this question suggesting scripting
> solutions or the use of Makefiles; these are all valid
> answers.  One tip: rather than use Makefiles per se,
> take a look at XML Pipeline - Sun recently announced
> an implementation based on Ant.

There also good old command line batch file/shell script.   In Windows:

for %%v in (path_to_directory\*.xml) saxon %%v xxx.xsl > %%v.html

This too-simple script will do a directory at a time, although the file
names will be a bit strange, with two extensions (.xml.html).  Using 4DOS or
4NT will let you do smarter things about the output filename.  In  a unix
shell script, you should easily be able to get  sensible output file names.
It's true that the xslt processor will be run once for each source file, but
__you__ won't be spending time on it.

Cheers,

Tom P