A problem was solved.Thanks guys!

Hi Sachi,Corey,Seema,

Am really sorry for this late reply.

Thanks for taking time out for helping me.
I was able to solve the problem.

This is how:
I tried to load the xml doc with <!DOCTYPE...> with
validateOnParse = false. This loaded the document
correctly.
But when this property is set to true, it was trying
to validate the xml doc with the dtd, that's where it
was failing and returning an empty document.
I could find the validation error using parseError
object which was about not able to find the
corresponding namespaces in dtd.

The xsl transformation  was 'copying' all the
namespace-prefixes to the output xml which were not
declared in the dtd. After adding
exclude-result-prefixes="msxsl z rs"
to the xsl, it removed all namespace-prefixes and the
xml could validate with the dtd without any error!

Thank you very much!
Anjali