Java memory overload with FOP and RenderX

I've got a document that when printed in Word runs about 500 pages. I've
converted this over to XML and have an XSL stylesheet that is able to
publish portions of this file, but when I try to run all of it I get a Java
out of memory error. After having dissected this file a couple of different
ways it seems to just be the overall length of the document that is giving
me problems.

I belive I need to run this as a single file for the following reasons:
	- It is really one document
	- I want a standard table of contents at the front
	- I want inter-document links - current based upon id/idref
	- I want a PDF bookmarks table of contents for everything
	- I would like to get a linked Index built (but this isn't there currently)

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a work around for what I
think the problems are above?

..dan