Re: Call perl script within xsl?

Sabrina Fords wrote:

> I want to be able to call extension functions from my xslt stylesheet
> written in Perl. I'm using saxon processor as it's much faster than xalan. I
> know this is possible with Xalan but just want to know if I can do this with
> saxon.

As Mike Kay has said, probably not.  Saxon or Xalan need to be able to
invoke Perl from within the Java environment.

Your best bet would be using the Gnome libxslt processor.
This is used by AxKit which provides a mechanism for calling
Perl from an XSL stylesheet.  See http://xmlsoft.org/

> I know this might not be the best way to go about doing this but I'm doing
> some research for my new project and trying to look at best way to call an
> extension function.

Well, like I said before: (a) the functionality you're trying
to achieve may be possible using XSLT alone, and (b) use extensions
very cautiously (not for their own sake).

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas