Keeping "&" in xml data when parsed

I've been searching in the archives, but with no luck on this one:

My database is pulling out a company name, "A & B", and writing it into an
xml file.
When I try to parse the xml through a stylesheet, I get a complaint that
the entity name must follow the ampersand immediately, i.e. the parser
thinks it's a mis-typed entity.

Bearing in mind that I don't have access to the database, is there any way
to  warn the stylesheet not to attempt to translate the ampersand?

Thanks for your help.
James