> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
>   <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"
>               encoding="iso8859-15"/>
>   <xsl:param name="path"></xsl:param>
>   <xsl:include href="identity.xsl"/>
>
>   <xsl:template match="$path"/>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
>
> Can anyone give me a simple example on how to achieve this without
> genereting the xsl file on the fly?

You can't, I'm afraid.

If the $path parameter only specifies an element name, then what you
could do is change the xsl:include to an xsl:import, and have the
following template, which matches all elements, and goes on to process
them with whatever's supplied in identity.xsl unless their name is the
same as the $path parameter:

<xsl:template match="*">
  <xsl:if test="name() != $path">
    <xsl:apply-imports />
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

If the $path is a more complex path, you could extend this solution to
do more elaborate checks on the identity of the element (rather than
just looking at its name) before going on to process it (or not).

Because of predicates, trying to implement a path pattern matcher in
XSLT is just as hard as trying to implement an XPath evaluator in
XSLT. But then probably the patterns that you're actually using are a
subset of the patterns that would be allowed in the match attribute,
so you might be able to make it work.

Otherwise, as you say, you need to generate the XSLT stylesheet on the
fly.

Cheers,

Jeni

---