Re: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: comments on December F&O draft)

David,

>> I think that in both cases returning different trees would be more
>> consistent,
>
> It's consistent with xslt tree creatuion but inconsistent with
> side-effect free function semantics which are there at least in part
> so that you can optimise and re-order function calls.

Hrm, see ya point...

Is it realistic to expect implementations to guarantee to return the
same thing for any given combination of arguments for a particular
function? (I guess the only ones they'd have to worry about would be
those returning node sequences, so presumably that would help, but
even so it appears to be a big burden...)

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison