Re: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: comments on December F&O draft)

Mike
>This is because although schema
>specifies that the regexp must match the whole string, xf:match() in effect
>tests the regexp against every substring of the supplied string and returns
>a list of those substrings that match.

oh so this suggests a different answer to my "overlapping matches"
question (in the message on the F&O document that I cross posted here
and to the query-commets list) than the one Jeni said I ought to
expect....

if the regexp is aa and the string is aaa, then your description would
suggest that aa gets matched against the substrings of aaa:

aa
aaa
 aa

and matches the 2nd and 5th of these, so returning (1,2).

David