RE: Mysterious 'invalid character'

You may want to look at using some other editors to work with the file, in
particular a hex based editor (or native file level editor).  Try a Google
search on "hex editor".  Mansfield's Kedit will also tell you the hex code
for any character the cursor is over (and let you view the file in hex).
The fact that the problem moves up a line every time you change the line
that currently has the problem suggests that the problem is with the editor
you are using on the file in the first place...