Re: Globalization with XSL-XML

the probs with multi lingual are

a) how to deal with text and local styling of text
b) how to deal with other binary assets ( i.e. pictures that are gifs )
c) should the application 'read' in the language of the client and parse in
realtime

a)

I use a global template that matches txt, and a global param that gets
passed in to the current template <xsl:param name="lang"/>

here is the global template

<xsl:param name="lang"/>

<xsl:template match="txt">
<xsl:if test="@xml:lang=$lang">
<xsl:copy-of select="node()"/>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

example;

<xsl:include href="global.xsl"/> <!---- this imports your global
template --->

<xsl:template match="/">

<xsl:apply-templates select="document('asset.xml')//title/txt"/> <!--- this
uses an external asset.xml which contains your text --->

<xsl:apply-templates select="title/txt"/> <!--- this uses xml which contains
your text in assoc xml file --->

</xsl:template>

here is the xml either contained in current.xml or asset.xml

<title>
<txt xml:lang="de"></txt>
<txt xml:lang="fr"></txt>
<txt xml:lang="it"></txt>
</title>

local styling can occur in the stylesheet or the xml.

b) the same technique as a can be used, but u may find that some languages
take up more space then others.

c) i would definately say to preparse everything, as trying to in realtime
dynamically present a site in its language takes too much time, sooooo u
would have an individual directory for each language version.

good luck

cheers, jim fuller