Variable in XPath...

Hi to all, again.
I've a problem with the variables in XPath, in fact, I've declared a
variable with:

    <xsl:variable name="node_id"
select="document('config_doc.xml')/config/nodename"/>

config_doc.xml is an external well-formed XML that containt the formal
description of the original XML document (even if it seems strange, I
assure you that this is the best system I've found to produce
lightweight and portable backoffice engines that works over an XML
document!)
So, during XSLT process, I've the necessity to cicle thru my original
document in each node named as the value of "node_id" variable. The XSLT
manual by Michael Kay assure that it is possibile in this way:

    <xsl:for-each select="$node_id">
        ... some processes ...
    </xsl:for-each>

But it's not working!
I've tried using {$node_id} and produce the same result.
The $node_id contains the exact node name.
Thank you.

Alessio Mazzieri