Re: Passing through character entities intact

Angus,

At 03:59 PM 10/10/01, you wrote:
>How do you take a character entity in an input document and pass it through
>to the output document as an entity(i.e. without any change)?
>
>What I am seeing is that the character entity gets substituted with the
>character code for the entity instead of passing the entity through as a
>character entity.

Yes, this is normal. In general, the processing model for XSLT -- which
entails a complete parse, including entity resolution, before the processor
(logically speaking) "sees" the document -- makes it impossible to do what
you want. Once the document is parsed, the stylesheet processor can't know
what was once an entity, and what not.

Accordingly, the usual fix is to pre-process the entities into something
that won't be parsed (some pseudo-entity format such as "%#%mdash;" for
—), and then post-process to reverse this.

But recently, Zarella Rendon posted a nice alternative workaround to the
problem, particularly good if you've got lots of data. See
http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200110/msg00115.html.

Cheers,
Wendell