From: owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
[mailto:owner-xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com]On Behalf Of cutlass
Sent: 07 August 2001 10:55
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: [xsl] Multi-lingual website

i have just finished a voyage into multi-lingual sites, i have built in my
final thoughts into our oIcore framework ( www.on-idle.com )

some thoughts;

ask yourself what changes more the data or the layout of the data, this will
guide your decision to making your process xslt centric or xml centric,
believe me when u get up to a thousand pages it makes a difference.

if u want seperate xml files for text assets using the @xml:lang attributes
to differentiate xslt processing i would suggest having a global template
that matches asset
something like:

<textasset name="asset1">
<txt xml:lang="en">this is english</txt>
<txt xml:lang="fr">this is french</txt>
<txt xml:lang="de">this is german</txt>
</textasset>

use a top level global param for all stylesheets <xsl:param name="lang"
select="'en'"/>,in your case this param is passed to your xslt from ASP (
goto www.bayes.co.uk/xml to find out how to do this).

using a named template adds up to a lot of extra keystrokes instead i use
something like <xsl:apply-templates select="txt[@name='asset1']"/>
everywhere in conjunction with;

<xsl:template match="txt">
<xsl:if test="@xml:lang=$lang">
<xsl:copy-of select="node()" />
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

in real life i followed this formula but still ended up having 3 seperate
versions of the site, because essentially multi-lingual sites requires 2
layers of abstraction to make content management easy as well as dealing
with layout concerns. in smaller sites this is not the case, in larger sites
where pictures and language length become a concern u will probably have to
go down this route.

another tip is that u will find that if u have one large text file with all
assets, processing these assets will become an issue if u are doing
transforms into real time.

there are ways of optimising this process, especially with the nomenclature,
esp replacing the rather lengthy apply-templates select using variables, but
i leave that to u.

good luck

cheers, jim fuller