Four quick questions about Xalan (in JAXP 1.1)

Hi,

Four questions I wanted to ask...

1. What version of Xalan is used in JAXP 1.1. Are there performance
improvements to be had over this version, and how does one plug in a new
version of Xalan for use within JAXP (still want to use Trax API...)

2. How good is the Crimson parser from Sun? How would one use Xerces an the
JAXP 1.1 parser (again using Trax API).

3. If you have a complicated XPath expression ( conjunction of 9 or 10
XPath expressions ), is it quicker to do the following

<xsl:apply-templates select="descendant::XMLNode[ Complicated XPath
expression ]"/>

or to have an <xsl:if> within the XMLNode template?

ie.

<xsl:template match="XMLNode">
<xsl:if test="Complicated XPath expression">
	<!-- Match XML Node -->
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

4. Can someone explain the differences between DOM/Stream/SAX
Sources/Results....I imagine if you're only really doing one transformation
(i.e not concatenating), you'd always want to use StreamResult....is this
right?

I understand the differences between DOM and SAX, but am not really sure
what a DOM/SAXSource is, and whether the performance of SAX is still better
than DOM. (I imagine XSLT involves a lot of tree traversal and node
matching, and am wondering whether a DOMSource, with its tree-like Object
Model, would be quicker for this than SAX).

Thanks everyone....

Joel