problem with & xalan and not with saxon

I have a question about a problem that I have with xalan and not with saxon.
I hope that this list is the right list to post my question. If not the
right list, can you please give me any link or help that help me to resolve
my problem.

this is my xml file :

<root name="myName">
  <child name="myChild1"/>
  <child name="myChild2"/>
</root>

the xsl file is :

<...>
  <xsl:value-of select="//child[@name='myChild1']"/>&amp;<xsl:value-of
select="//child[@name='myChild2']"/>
</...>

when XALAN process those files, I have a carriage return  after &amp;

myChild1&amp;
myChild2

but with SAXON, the result is what I expect, I mean without carriage return
:

myChild1&amp;myChild2

thank you very much

rachid