Re: Retrieving XML document's name

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 08:51:42AM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> On 03 Jul 2001 00:16:35 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > John Putman writes:
> >  > This is probably pretty simple, but I couldn't find the answer in the
> >  > archives or books... how can you retrieve the name of the XML file that you
> >  > are transforming?
> >
> > you can't. after all, it may not be a file at all.
>
> If this was the XSLT designer's thinking on this, surely it's mistaken.

I actually find this restriction quite useful as a reminder of the
utility of maintaining a separation between presentation issues (what
the XSLT stylesheet "does") and processing issues (in this case, what
the XSLT processor - Saxon, your own script, whatever - does). It's a
fine line, and I think XSLT 1.0 draws it very cleanly in this and in
its generally limited ability to get at information not contained
within either the Stylesheet or the XML file it's dealing with.

Colin