Re: given @id="1.2.3" .... -1 || +1 to the "3" in @id??

At 11:20 2-07-2001, Anthony E. wrote:
>the sections for the prev & next links are in
>different xml files, so I can't use xpath to determine
>if it's the first or last element. I will have an
>attribute first="1.1.1" and last="1.1.3" in each
><section> element. Then I can compare if the current
>"id" attribute is equal to first or last and determine
>whether or not there is a prev or next link.

OK.  Then the other suggestions on this thread ought to work.  If there are
always two periods, then you can use

substring-after(substring-after(@id,'.'),'.')

to get the part after the last dot; to build the entire number for the next
part, it'll look like (the rather complicated):

concat(
   substring-before(@id,'.'), '.',
   substring-before(substring-after(@id,'.'),'.'), '.',
   number(substring-after(substring-after(@id,'.'),'.'))+1
)

If you don't know how many subparts there will be, then you need to use
recursive templates to continue stripping as long as there are periods left
in the string.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant