Conditional Assigining

Team,

<xsl:variable name="ID">-1</xsl:variable>
<xsl:for-each select="Section[parentID='0']">
	<xsl:if test="$ID=-1">
		<xsl:variable name="ID" select="sectionID" />
	</xsl:if>
id <xsl:value-of select="$ID"/>

Output:
-----------
id = -1.  In the first instance.

               **********************
Please have a look on the above XML.  The scope of the ID is getting lost
once i get exit from the if loop which is not i want.  The value of the
global variable ID has to be set inside IF and then that should be visible
to outer functions as well.

All i want is similar to this one.
int x = 0;
while ( true) {
  if ( x == 0 ){
    x = 1;
  }
  x = 2;
}

When the loop starts executing first time it will take the value from the
sectionID and from the next time onwards i shall give the value for the
variable id.  Is that possible to do in XSL??

Can anyone help me out please???

Cheers
Srini