xsl:output encoding attribute

We are executing xsl transformatin on a server using MSXML version 3.0.  The
input xml is specifying UTF-8 encoding.  The stylesheet is specifying UTF-8
encoding.  But Microsoft's parser is outputting UTF-16 encoding.

There is an encoding attribute  on the xsl:output element that we should be
able to use to control the output encoding. We have been unsuccessful at
getting that to work.  Any idea what value belongs on that attribute?  Or is
there a better way?

Pat Carney, CGI