Re: generating a DTD with XML/XSL

Marcus writes:

> We are currently at a project where we are planning to use an
> XML-stylesheet (why a DTD isn`t XML-conformant, only the gods know)

This has recently been discussed to death on comp.text.xml.  DTDs were
invented 12 years before XML. It's therefore unfair to expect them to
conform to it. The reason they weren't designed to use instance syntax
is because that would require a prior DTD-for-DTDs in order to read it
(don't forget SGML *required* a DTD, it wasn't optional as in XML),
and that would have defeated the objective: a concise definition of
the document structure. See Norman Walsh's recent post on c.t.x with
a comparison of DTD and Schema for the same document.

> to generate a DTD and an XML-Input mask.  Now a colleague mentioned
> XML-Schemas might be the trick we need.  Where can I find
> Information on those?

Have you tried reading the W3C Web site? It's usually a good idea
to try there before anywhere else.

> or (another way) how can I test for multiple elements in an XML?

Do you mean "test to see if my XML document contains repeated
elements" or "test to see if the DTD/Schema permits repeated
elements"?  The first wouldn't have anything to do with DTDs or
Schemas. The second would.

///Peter