Re: XML source with DOCTYPE declaration

Hi Zeljko,

I've hesitated to leap into this without doing the necessary homework
first, but I think there may be another option for you to consider.

In an earlier post you reported the DTD contains declarations such as:

><!ENTITY % NS.prefixed "IGNORE">
><!ENTITY % XHTML.prefixed "%NS.prefixed;">
><!ENTITY % XHTML.xmlns "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>
><!ENTITY % XHTML.prefix "">
><!ENTITY % XHTML.xmlns.attrib "xmlns   %URI.datatype;  #FIXED
>'%XHTML.xmlns;          %XLINK.xmlns.attrib;">

This suggests there's a top-level switch intended to turn namespace
prefixes on the names on and off. I wonder what would happen if your
DOCTYPE declaration said:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY NS.prefixed "INCLUDE">
]>

or even

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic10.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY NS.prefixed "IGNORE">
]>

Try it and see. If it works, you might be able to evade the problem in your
stylesheets. If not, those declarations are certainly signs of a high-level
architecture intended to let you configure the DTD from the internal subset
(as I have shown), so something similar (involving an overriding
declaration of a parameter entity in your DOCTYPE) may still be possible.

Without digging into the DTD's architecture I can't say for sure -- but
this mechanism really ought to be documented in there.

Cheers,
Wendell