Converting an attribute value into an XML fragment

I am trying to convert the value of an attribute into an XML fragment in
XSL.  Here is what my XML looks like:

  <row
    title="XMLContent"
    value="&lt;section header=&quot;no&quot;&gt;Testing
testing&lt;/section&gt;introhunk&lt;br/&gt;blah"
  />

So, when converted into an XML fragment, row/@value should look like this:

And I would like to have my XSL transform this <row> into something like
this in the XML result tree:

  <item title="XMLContent">
    <section header="no">
      Testing testing
    </section>
    introhunk
    blah
  </item>

I am doing this so I can store XML fragments in a db table, then have those
fragments be merged into the XML result tree of an XML document that
contains references to records within that table.  [Note the choice of an
<item> tag is just for demonstration above.]

Any ideas on how to make this happen?

Thanks ..

joel