Re: [exslt] output methods (Was: Re: Twig::, Xalan, and Character Escaping)

Francis Norton wrote:
> Aha! I'd been assuming the solution was to provide url-encode() and
> url-decode() methods.

Don't give up yet. Such functions would be more useful than the automatic
URL-encoding mandated by XSLT's html output method, IMHO.

The URL-encoding in the html output method is only for non-ASCII characters
that make their way into an attribute value that one knows (because HTML's
DTDs explicitly say so) is supposed to be a URI reference. It is hardly a
general-purpose URL-encoder, despite some poor implementations that might
be blindly URL-encoding the entire attribute value.

I can see how it would be appropriate to have the same automatic
functionality in an XHTML output method, though, for consistency.

   - Mike