Adding NewLine, Tab characters to XML Document text

Hi,
    In my application I have to create XML document with lot of options.
Depending upon the options I have to
add NewLine Characters, Tab characters, space characters in the text
characters of XML document. While I
process that XML document using XSLT to produce output, I have to apply
those characters.
I want to know whether there is any standard way of doing this other than
using ascii equivalent of it(	).

eg:

<customer>

<name>Pete</name>

<desc>Software&#10;Engineer</desc>

</customer>

or
is there any other standard way of doing things.

I have another question also.
    If the description is too large and I want to limit number of lines for
page depending on some input(say 34 lines).
Can you please tell me the standard way of doing this.

Thanks,
Raj