Re: Template repository (Was: Re: Re: namespace values)

> OK, let's do this. I agree that it could feed [the core] EXSLT with
> new functionality, in just the same way as a function repository
> would.

this is an exciting turn...

> I think it would be appropriate to use the same namespaces for the
> templates as we use for the EXSLT modules, to have them under the same
> umbrella, but I can see some people objecting that these templates
> aren't extensions. On the other hand, the divisions between the

i like the idea of being under same EXSLT namespace

> It'll be fairly simple to change the exsl:function definitions into
> similar templates to do roughly the same thing, so I'll do that.  One
> thing, though - should I include within them shortcuts using
> implementation-specific functions.  For example:
>
>   <xsl:template name="math:min">
>      <xsl:param name="node-set" select="/.." />
>      <xsl:choose>
>         <xsl:when test="function-available('saxon:min')">
>            <xsl:value-of select="saxon:min($node-set)" />
>         </xsl:when>
>         <xsl:otherwise>
>            <!-- XSLT recursive template -->
>         </xsl:otherwise>
>      </xsl:choose>
>   </xsl:template>

i like this idea, but maybe we would like to eventually 'extract' a
library for each specific xsl parser, so we should think about a
transform, to do this, on the above example template or maybe seperating
versions using modes and xsl:includes; prob too cumbersome that.

> Dave, do you want to host this and the function repository? I can send
> you the stylesheets and put in RDDL links from the EXSLT pages to
> them. Or I can host them here.

i got long term server space, if needed, my company will design it nice
nice pretty, if i ask nice

> I really like Colin Muller's idea of basing the repository around
> conformance tests.  If you have an idea for a template, then you
> should also submit one or more examples of the:
>
>   (a) source XML [if appropriate]
>   (b) template call
>   (c) desired output
>
> If you have the template itself, so much the better. A while ago I
> actually wrote an XSLT stylesheet to do use case testing
> automatically. I'll tidy that up and make it available so that we can
> use it.

this is nice
possibly some additional lint checking and standard benchmark test, and
oh yea that cup of coffee i haven't had yet.

> As I've been thinking about the function repository, I've been
> thinking about an XML structure to hold the pertinent information
> about the functions; we need something similar for a template
> repository as well.  If anyone would like to work on designing that
> XML format, please stick up your hand.  It will make submissions a lot
> easier if we have it.

will give a shot

cheers, jim fuller