Displaying grid of elements in table with the position() call for input names?

Hi there,

I am looping through X # of rows. In doing so, I give each and every input
box a name like so:

<input type="text">
  <xsl:attribute name="name">SomeName_<xsl:value-of
select="position()"/></xsl:attribute>
</input>

This way, as the rows are built (displayed), there is a counter for each
row, (1, 2, 3, etc). So when a form is submitted with multiple rows, I
simply iterate over the number of rows, and read each request parameter like
so:

for( int cntr = 0; cntr < rows; cntr++ )
{
  String SomeName = request.getParameter("SomeName_" + cntr);
  // do something with the SomeName value
}

This works fine. But now, I have dilema..I need to display a random number
of fields horizontally as well. Each row has the same number of fields
across horizontally. So, the name should be something like
SomeName_rowNum_colNum. However, since the position() call seems to be
giving me the row number, what happens when I use it in this context..where
by I am in the row loop and now building the column of fields. Does
position() give me the number of fields in the current xsl:for-each loop? If
so, how can I access the "outer" xsl:for-each loops count?

Thanks.