Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Hi Jeni,

> I think the upshot of this is that unless we introduce a proper
> construct like (test ? true : false) that only evaluates the relevant
> expression, we *have* to enable xsl:if/xsl:choose to be specified
> within function declarations. An exsl:if() function will not be
> sufficient.

That's correct.

> So would I. In the long long long term, there shouldn't be any
> extension functions because everything that's usefully done within an
> XPath should be in the XPath core.

Here I don't agree, I think there will always be room/need
for extension functions. For performance reasons and
functionality reasons, e.g. interaction with applications
outside of the XSLT/XPath engine. But by introducing
a few enhancements in XPath we could singnificantly reduce
those situations.

> Of course, working on creating common extension functions that do all
> the node set manipulation we need to do is a very worthwhile aim. In
> fact if you have the energy and feel strongly enough then I urge you
> to lead the process of doing so.

I was actually thinking of suggesting XQuery for exactly this purpose
in my previous post, but then I remembered what my feelings for it are ...
In my opinion they have obfuscated XPath. Instead of describing
the XQuery language as an extended subset of XSLT/XPath they went
inventing their own syntax and semantics which are similar but not
compatible with XSLT/XPath. I cannot se any sensible reason for this at
all but that's a different story.

> IMO the process of creating common extension functions will become
> easier when we have a means of defining extension functions in XSLT
> (and [sorry Uche] in other languages). Implementers that have the time
> to build in support for these common extensions will be able to do so.
> We will be able to use our own definitions for those that don't.

I fully agree.

> > Expr := VarBinding* OrExpr
> > VarBinding := QName ':=' Expr ';'

> :)  You might be interested at looking at the syntax used in XQuery.

Well, I did, that's where the ':=' came from, but see my previous comment
on XQuery :-)

Cheers,

</David>

David Rosenborg