Changing case using translate()

Hi,

As I understand it, case conversion is done using

translate(xxxx,abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz,ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ)

Im trying to incorporate it into the following line of code, to allow
case-independant searching:

<xsl:for-each select="TBD/business[contains(*[local-name() = $param1],
$param2)]">

By converting both params to uppercase it should allow, for example,
'rising' to match 'Rising Sun'.

Where should it go?? All my attempts so far seem to make no difference
whatsoever...

Thanks

Andrew Welch