Re: Stopping Saxon searching for an external DTD

>jim smith wrote:
>>  <!DOCTYPE moreovernews SYSTEM
>>  "http://p.moreover.com/xml_dtds/moreovernews.dtd">
>>
>>  fails when I'm offline, but not when I'm online.
>>
>>  I'm not actually clear what's going on here. Is Saxon actually
>>  attempting to grab the DTD or is Java having a problem because it
>>  thinks the URL should be resolved before proceeding? (In which case,
>>  why doesn't it crash like a normal Java app on a Mac...)
>>
>>  As I'm confident that Moreover files are valid, and my XSL doesn't
>>  care, is there any way to turn this feature off?
>
>DTDs are used for more than just validation. You'll have to get rid of the
><!DOCTYPE> altogether. If there is such a declaration, it's going to be
>examined for an internal and external DTD subset, so that the XML parser
>can determine default attribute values, resolve entity references, and, if
>it is a validating parser, do schema validation.

Yes, it makes parsing lightweight XML-with-trivial-DTD tricky
offline, but that's a rare occurence. I may be the only person the
list who needs this functionality ;-)

My best bet is to s/// the DOCTYPE string out when I grab it with Perl/LWP.

>I believe that in the event that the DTD is external, the parser has the
>option of ignoring it, but I would bet that the parser you're using does
>not fall back when the URI resolver coughs up an exception. You might
>check the docs for your XML parser to see if it gives you a way to turn
>off resolution of external entities, or perhaps you can override the
>resolver with one of your own.. (sorry if I'm not being very helpful..
>I've not tried to do this myself)

Indeed it doesn't.

jim smith
020 7837 0377