RE: A really easy (hopefully) question

> The "current node" and "current node list" are XSLT concepts,
> not XPath
> concepts. What would you expect current() to return in
> another non-XSLT implementation of XPath?

It would be quite easy to define it as "the node that is the context node
for the XPath expression as a whole, outside any predicates". I assume
no-one thought that would be useful enough to justify it.

It would be interesting to know whether free-standing XPath implementations
actually provide this function or not. As far as I can see neither
Microsoft's nor Xalan's free-standing XPath processors give you any
(documented) way of defining variables, which ARE part of the XPath spec.

Mike Kay