Robert-

Your message was still not at all clear as to what the problem is.
Are you talking about what the user sees in their web browser? If
so, which browser? Or are you just looking at the HTML?

Or that &lt;br&gt;&lt;/br&gt; when copied through to the result tree
should be serialized as <br></br> rather than &lt;br&gt;&lt;/br&gt; ?

Or that <xsl:template match="para"> means "go process para elements"
instead of "here's what to do if you happen to process a para element"?

Or that <xsl:for-each select="."> has any utility whatsoever?

I don't understand what difference the CSS fluff in your literal
result elements would have on the actual output.

What are you trying to achieve, and what exactly is the output you
are seeing? Can you run the transformation standalone and see what
the output from Xalan really is?

And perhaps it would help if you sketched out the XPath/XSLT node tree
for your XML...

root node

element 'test'
  |___text '\n  '
  |___element 'para'
  |     |___text 'kjd...sg '
  |     |___element 'br'
  |     |___text ' jdf...skl\n'
  |___text '\n  '
  |___element 'para'
  |     |___text 'kjd...sg '
  |     |___text 'kjd...sg '
  |     |___element 'br'
  |     |___text ' jdf...skl\n'
  |___text '\n  '
  |___element 'para'
  |     |___text 'Holly and Jeff'
  |     |___element 'br'
  |     |___text ' received some'
  |     |___element 'br'
  |     |___text ' training manuals<br></br> they ordered.'
  |___text '\n'

The only thing I can say with certainty is that your stylesheet
*is* managing to process all of these nodes.

   - Mike