RE: Quasi-Literals and XML

At 01:13 1/02/2001, Linda van den Brink wrote:

>My point is that in the first place the statement that XSL is not
>Turing-complete is debatable, in the second place I'm not convinced that XSL
>is severely restricted in the possible transformations, and in the third
>place I wonder whether there is a causal relationship between lack of
>turing-completeness of XSL and restrictions in possible transformations.

Without regular exprssions (for example), XSLT cannot be
used for transformations from "x" to XML, where "x" is
some arbitrary source file.

You are also limited in how much you can (easily)
manipulate the content of XML as part of the
transformation.

This is a pretty big constraint.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
jamesr@steptwo.com.au