JAXP and Coccoon

I have been looking at Michael Kay's chapter's re the "Common Java Binding
Mechanism" and the JAXP documentation coming out of Sun.  Recently, someone
focused me on Apache's Coccoon project. While it appears Coccoon would make
some "pipeline processing" of xslt filters (and apparently fo) easier if
you're willing to learn Coccoon's PIs, does anyone know if JAXP won't in
fact make it easier to create a purely Java based solution similar to
Coccoon?  I guess I am asking if anyone has any thoughts on Coccoon's impact
to the ever-growing need to employ a server-side product that will make
hooking in xslt solutions easier.

John Rogers
DellHost.com
(512)725-2161